C) ADMINISTRATION · Barcelona
Created in 2005 by the Generalitat de Catalunya (Government of Catalonia) and the University of Barcelona, IRB Barcelona is a Severo Ochoa Centre of Excellence--a seal that was awarded in 2011.
The institute is devoted to conducting research of excellence in biomedicine and to transferring results to clinical practice, thus improving people’s quality of life, while simultaneously promoting the training of outstanding researchers, technology transfer, and public communication of science. Its 27 laboratories and seven core facilities address basic questions in biology and are orientated to diseases such as cancer, metastasis, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and rare conditions.
IRB Barcelona is an international centre that hosts 400 members and 35 nationalities. It is located in the Barcelona Science Park. IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and the "Xarxa
de Centres de Recerca de Catalunya" (CERCA).
IRB Barcelona seeks a Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer for the Information and Technology Department at the IRB Barcelona, the selected candidate will work on managing the infrastructure of the IT systems of our institute.
The role of the IT Infrastructure Engineer will be to focus on the provision and maintenance of the IT services to support research done at the IRB Barcelona. These services include Linux Systems, Storage, Backup and Archive infrastructure and optionally HPC systems. DUTIES:
- Installation and configuration of linux servers and related layered software
- Ensuring standards and procedures are maintained for all computing services provided by the IRB
- Provision of Storage services (mainly NetApp - 1 PB of storage) to the IRB Barcelona Research groups.
- Managing the Backup and Archive system (to tape, Cloud and local storage) based on Commvault.
- Choosing new storage and HPC Technologies.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS: Must Have - Required: Experience:
- Maintaining, together with the 2 other members of the HPC team, the IRB’s HPC clusters composed of 3000 cores and more than one hundred nodes.
10 years of experience in a similar position Knowledge:
- Bachelor degree or higher in Informatics, Telecommunications Engineering, or similar
- Linux operating systems, including scripting and programming proficiencies (Shell, Perl or Python)
- Networked Storage technologies like NETAPP ONTAP (required). NAS, SMB/CIFS, BeeGFS
- LDAP (authentication, management and changes in a LDAP infrastructure) and its configuration in linux systems
- Networking basic knowledge
- Commvault Backup and Recovery services
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills in English and Spanish
- Strong organizational, planning and multitasking capacities
- Teamwork skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS:
- HPC workload managers Knowledge (Slurm, SGE)
- Web server administration (Apache, NGINX,...)
- Active Directory
- SSL certificate administration
- Containerization (Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes,...)
- Workflow managers like Nextflow, Snakemake, Galaxy or Toil
- Fortran, C, and C++ Compilers
- Management of public or private Cloud infrastructure (OpenNebula, AWS, Azure..)
- Configuration of monitoring systems such as Nagios and Ganglia
- MPI, CUDA, and OpenMP
- ML/AI libraries (Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras..)
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS:
- Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leave and injuries at work.
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious, diverse and inclusive international research institution and to become a member our administration team.
- Benefits: Continuous training in a high-quality environment with unique professional career opportunities.
Note: The strengths and weaknesses of the applications will be provided upon request.
- Deadline for applications: 30/06/2021 (If no suitable candidate is found, the deadline will be extended)
- Number of positions available: 1
- Selection process:
- Pre-selection: Will be based on CV, motivation letter, experience, management of research and innovation.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Job offer: Will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
’If you, as an applicant, have any suggestion or wish to make a complaint regarding the selection process, please contact us at the following email address:
IRB Barcelona - Institute for Research in Biomedicine
08028 Barcelona Directions info
irbbarcelona.org +34 93 402 02 50